Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Metasploit Rising

From: David Maciejak <david.maciejak () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:05:47 +0200

Congrats to the team, keep up the good work !

Regards,
david

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM, HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com> wrote:
I created the Metasploit Project over six years ago as way to publish
security information to those who needed it most, the security
professionals in the field. The project has evolved from a personal web
site, to a collaborative effort with a small group of friends, and
finally to the robust community-driven project that we know today. This
progress came at the cost of the evenings, lunch hours, early mornings,
and weekends of countless contributors who donate their time for the
benefit of the community. The volunteer nature of the project has lead
to innovation in niche areas and has driven research across a wide range
of topics.

During this time, Metasploit has always been a hobby; something I enjoy
working on when my current job isn't monopolizing my free time. The
project has always taken a back seat to the demands of day to day
employment and this has created a bottleneck in terms of project growth.
We now receive far more contributions, feature requests, and bug reports
that the core team can keep up with in their free time. The project has
come a long way, but nearly all patches, module submissions, and new
features are still processed by only a few people. The time it takes for
us to cut a release has increased as well; it has been almost a year
since the last stable version of the Framework was released, with
hundreds of new features  in the development tree, but no time to test
them well enough to consider them ready for a stable release.

All of this is changing. I am excited to announce that Metasploit has
been acquired by Rapid7 and that myself and Egypt will be working on
Metasploit as our full-time jobs. I will be taking on the role of Chief
Security Officer of Rapid7 as well as Chief Architect of Metasploit.
Egypt will join as our first core developer. In addition, we are hiring
an exploit developer, user interface designer, and mostly importantly, a
QA engineer, all dedicated to making the Metasploit Framework the best
penetration testing product available. Rapid7 has committed to keeping
the project open source, with no plans to change the license or the
community development model. What will be changing is how fast we add
new exploits, integrate new features, and release new versions. By
backing Metasploit, Rapid7 will benefit from the extensive security
research experience of the Metasploit team and use this to enhance its
existing NeXpose product line.

Rapid7 was the right company for Metasploit for a number of reasons.
First and foremost, they understand the value of the community have seen
the benefits that funding a project like Metasploit can provide since
our first conversation. Second, the management team at Rapid7 is made up
of some brilliant folks. They may not be exploit developers, but they
understand business and how to make a marriage with Metasploit increase
their own bottom line without destroying the value of project in the
process. Third, Rapid7 has an amazing technical staff and a solid
vulnerability management product. There are only a few companies in the
world that understand how much work is involved in doing vulnerability
assessments right, and this team has been doing it for over 9 years.
Lastly, Rapid7 has an enormous QA lab, with the ability to perform
regression testing across a massive array of operating systems and patch
levels. The combination of their staff and technical resources will
allow the Metasploit Framework to make a huge leap ahead in the coming
months.

To the members of the community who have been contributing their time
and mindshare, thank you! The best way to show our dedication is by
demonstrating that we mean what we say. In the next six months, we will
hammering out Metasploit Framework releases that benefit from the
dedicated resources provided by Rapid7 and illustrate exactly what we
can do now that we can fully focus on the framework. If you have any
questions or comments, you can email me at hdm[at]metasploit.com or join
our IRC channel (#metasploit on irc.freenode.net). The Metasploit web
site has been updated to include a FAQ about the acquisition, as well as
links to the announcement on the Rapid7 web site as well.

Sincerely,

HD Moore