Metasploit mailing list archives

Thinning Out the Framework

From: hdm at metasploit.com (HD Moore)
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:17:29 -0500

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 08:20 -0600, Bryan Richardson wrote:
I'm looking to use a few specific pieces of Metasploit for a
particular task where source code size is an issue.  Given that I only
need to use a small number of the features the Metasploit framework
offers, I'm wondering if it's possible for me to some how 'thin' out
the code to only include the bare minimum needed for me to complete my
task.  Are there any Ruby toolkits (profilers maybe?) out there that
you know of that would help me to identify exactly which pieces of
code are used as I execute the specific task in question?

We offer a "light" version of both 3.2 and 3.3-dev from the downloads
page, with a little more crunching this can be further reduced to under
1Mb as a tar.bz2.

If you are more interested in the api than the modules/interfaces, use a
tool like 'rcov' to figure out what libraries are called, and rebuild
based on that. Separating out what libs are actually required is going
to be difficult, since many libraries are demand-loaded when different
events occurs (a new session, for example). Could you be more specific
about what limited feature set you are interested in?

-HD