Metasploit mailing list archives

Meterpreter Sniffer module

From: hdm at metasploit.com (HD Moore)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:19:13 -0500

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 03:39:00 -0500, jep <watthafxk at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi list,

I used ms05_039_pnp with meterpreter to target win2k server running on
virtual box, I found that the target machine produced BSOD and rebooted
after a couple of minutes after I used sniffer_stop 1 command.

On VMWare, this can cause a "Fatal error 6" and kill the VMWare host
process as well. It occurs when the sniffer_stop command is used, and even
more commonly, when a background meterpreter process that is actively
sniffing is killed by the task manager. I am still tracking down the cause
- my guess is a driver hook isn't properly removed on shutdown (or there
is call I am forgetting to make).

-HD