Metasploit mailing list archives

Official Metasploit Book

From: metafan at intern0t.net (MaXe)
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:01:19 +0200

Professor 0110 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether HD Moore and you other developers of the
Metasploit Framework will ever consider writing a book that's the
official guide to Metasploit. The reason I ask is because recently
Fyodor released the official Nmap book, which I'm reading at the
moment, and it's very informative. I know there's already other books
dedicated at least in part to Metasploit, and one dedicated entirely,
but an official guide actually from the core developers of Metasploit
would be just fantastic! :)

Finally, when do you guys think Metasploit 3.3 stable will be released
to the public, and what new features will it entail?

Cheers,

Hi there,

The NMAP book is a second edition i think, about an official book.. As
far as i know there's plenty of user and developer documentation and 1
book from syngress thus a few shorter books / long papers from other
sources as well :-) It's good reading stuff but you gotta give yourself
time to do it. Of course with all the new features it's hard to keep up
with that material, but most of it is good to read to get a good point
of view in how Metasploit is working.

About Metasploit 3.3, why don't youcheckout the subversion / trunk of
it? That has the newest features including reflective dll injection etc,
and of course there's also some very good contributions like xbackdoor
which i'm not sure has been added officially though i like the concept :-)

So when will it become stable? Only time can tell though with
Metasploit, stable doesn't really mean anything to me :-) There's stable
if you want to be "stable" and outdated or the trunk version if you want
to be updated but possibly have a few bugs which the devteam are really
good at fixing fast ;-)

I'm not sure if they will write a book on their own, perhaps i guess.
Though i do know that they make quite a lot of presentations, slides and
papers about it!

Best Regards,
MaXe - No i'm not a dev but i guess i answered your question
sufficiently ;-)