Metasploit mailing list archives

What we mean by NOPs generator and payload encoders

From: natron at invisibledenizen.org (natron)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:36:17 -0500

The two following books have well written sections on exploitation of
buffer overflows, etc:

Gray Hat Hacking, 2nd Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Hacking-Second-Shon-Harris/dp/0071495681

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Art-Exploitation-Jon-Erickson/dp/1593271441

-n

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM, MaXe <metafan at intern0t.net> wrote:
Deependra Singh Shekhawat wrote:

A good way to learn more about NOP Generators and also get more information
about NOP sledges is to read about Buffer Overflows! :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow
Of course there are many other good resources and i guess even one from here
could explain how it works as well though shortly said it's used to make
sure you will execute your payload :-) Stability for payloads is also
another phrase that could fit. It's simply due to different kinds of systems
may not execute an exploit 100% the same, so we add NOP sledges / slides :-D

About encoding and decoding payloads which is a bit more tough, there are a
few resources on Wikipedia which elaborates about Polymorphic Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code
Of course there are other ways to encode a payload and my knowledge about
this topic doesn't go that far, except that there is an encoded section and
a section with a "decryption key". There is another "concept" which is
called Mutating Code, that's something that is quite interesting as well ;-)

I hope i answered your questions sufficiently. I might be a little wrong,
but not totally though i must admit that Polymorphic Code doesn't have much
to do with Metasploit, not sure..

Best Regards,
MaXe