Metasploit mailing list archives

misleading error message on ruby version

From: rhyskidd at gmail.com (Rhys Kidd)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 23:58:38 +0900

If you take a look inside Metasploit at the file which generates this
warning you will see that rather than merely do a look-up and comparison of
the reported Ruby version number, it actually uses a small snippet of code
that checks for the bug itself.

http://trac.metasploit.com/browser/framework3/trunk/lib/msf/sanity.rb

The false positive rate on this warning is very low. My understanding is
that some of the distro's backported the buggy Ruby code into their shipping
Ruby packages. While annoying, I'm sure some of the more proficient Fedora
users can guide you on how to get a working Ruby interpreter.

Rhys