Metasploit mailing list archives

Metasploit on FreeBSD (and a couple of other questions)

From: jimbo at abs.net (Jim)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:04:53 -0500

1. Does anyone have msfgui working on i386 FreeBSD?  The Ruby
installation is driving my crazy because of the version specific
requirements and the missing zlib bug in 1.8.6.  Mfsconsole works fine,
but I'd like to use the gui sometimes.  Any tips or pointers?  (Or if
you have a URL for a copy of i386/FreeBSD zlib around, I'd appreciate it.

2. I'd like to explore writing exploits for Metasploit.  Google gives
about a million results.  Are there any really good, comprehensive sites
for learning about this?

3. After looking at SuSe, Ubuntu, Fedora, and FreeBSD for my pen-testing
platform of choice I settled on FreeBSD mainly because wireless support
seemed to be the most mature.  Was that a mistake?  I'm not trying to
start a religious war, but is there an OS that is generally regarded as
the best for running the tools we use that often need to do strange
things?  (Metasploit, dsniff, aircrack, etc etc etc.)

Thanks for any input.
Jim