Metasploit mailing list archives

The Perfect Pen Test? Your opinions?

From: morning_wood at frame4.com (Donnie Werner)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:55:44 -0800

/me Duct tapes mouth

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mr Gabriel" <angelisonline at gmail.com>
To: <framework at spool.metasploit.com>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 7:44 AM
Subject: [framework] The Perfect Pen Test? Your opinions?

Dear All,

Thanks for taking the time to read this message. First off - I'd like to
say
to HD Moore and co; keep up the damn fine work, and also to everyone on
this
list who helps others who have issues, (and I mean MSF based issues, not
like, "my wife left me, because she caught me in my PA" type issues :) ).
I've been trying for a long time to get my head around pen testing, and
for
me it's not too much of a problem to understand, I usually explain in in
these four steps,

  - Take a look around the network, to find as many end points as possible
  - Take a look at each end point to see what services are running on
which
  ports,
  - Match the service, service version, port, and OS, to a known
  vulnerability
  - Make use of the vulnerability, hence, proving a security
  breach/hole/issue
  - ( I know this is a fifth step, but you could also use fuzzing, if no
  prior known vulnerability exists )

Now, I've had numerous discussions with people that think there is much
more
to pentesting that what I just stated, and my argument is that, unless I
already have a target in mind, how can I be more specific? It was at that
point, I realise that people tend to have personal approaches to a pen
test
rather than a general approach - which leads me to my question - What
would
be your perfect pen test approach? Personally, I think the steps I have
outlined, is the best principal you can follow, but I will be delighted if
someone could not only prove me wrong, but improve on it :)

The scenario is as follows;

You are presented with an unknown network, you have no prior knowledge,
other than the fact that it is an IP4 based network. You must prove that
it
has the potential to be compromised - what are your steps?