Metasploit mailing list archives

Locale in non-English exploit shell

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:56:00 -0600

Great feedback -- to be able to code this properly, we need a way to
detect the remote code page. One trouble we have with using the Iconv
calls is that they can crash/break when invalid unicode characters are
present in the stream. This is the reason why MSFGUI is so poor at
handling non-english locales.

The easiest way to implement this would be a new advanced option for all
payloads with an interactive shell. Can we assume the metasploit-side
code page is always going to be UTF-8? I should have Russian language
versions of XP/2003 to test, but it may take a while to get this running.

Thanks!

-HD