Metasploit mailing list archives

HTTP Tunneling

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:41:44 -0500

The HTTP Tunneling shellcode makes use of the Internet Explorer
configuration, authenticated proxies and all, if the code runs under a
user account with those settings. There are two major drawbacks to using
these payloads though:

1. The payloads only work if IE6 is being used and are incompatible with
IE 7.

2. If the exploited process is a system service, more than likely it wont
pick up the user's settings. I haven't tested this, but it seems likely.

-HD