Metasploit mailing list archives

NBNS/WINS Name Spoofing

From: natronicus at gmail.com (natronicus)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:04:51 -0500

If any metasploit admins object to this discussion, tell us to take it
offlist and we will.  Otherwise I'll continue to keep it here (if
there's more discussion to be had).

I'm glad to hear you got it working.

That's an interesting idea.  I had written off MITM/XSS/etc because to
spoof an already-existing resource with NBNS, the following conditions
have to be met:

- The resource has to normally be resolved via WINS/NBNS.  If they use
DNS to resolve it, it's a no go.
- You have to be able to guess the transaction ID faster than the
legitimate resource can respond.  This one was the deal breaker.

Phishing would be interesting.  (Linking to http://Comp-Security/ or
http://Password-Change/ for example.)

As far as guessing the TID, I was spoofing it by looping from 0x8000
to 0x9fff repeatedly until the timing hit the correct one.  Perhaps
you can get aggressive with the applet and speed this up, I don't
know.  But using the looping method, the target usually got off 2
rounds of requests before it accepted my reply.  In my environment,
the legitimate service usually replies well ahead of that.

natron