Metasploit mailing list archives

Shell Closes Immediately

From: sam.mcingvale at u.northwestern.edu (Samuel McIngvale)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:57:36 -0600

I have written a few vulnerable programs for myself to hack at with
metasploit.  This was meant purely for educational purposes.  Most of these
programs are simple buffer overflows compiled under Linux using no stack
protection.  When I attempt to exploit the services with metasploit, the
majority of the time I get a shell and everything is all good.  One service
in particular, however, pops a shell when I run exploit, but then the shell
immediately closes.  See below:

[*] Command shell session 2 opened
(XXX.XXX.XX.XX:XXXXX<http://129.105.15.77:39452/>->
XXX.XXX.XX.XX:XXXXX <http://129.105.15.72:12345/>)
[-] Exploit failed: undefined method `put' for nil:NilClass

I don't think the error is in my exploit module, I am basically using the
same module to exploit each service (just changing the relevant options:
space, address, etc.).  Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Sam