Metasploit mailing list archives

How payloads (shellcodes) used in exploiting

From: jerome.athias at free.fr (Jerome Athias)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:33:10 +0200

Hi,

it is due to the fact of the Metasploit Framework uses kind of magic and
hexa voodoo!...

After joking, yes the shellcode has to be sent to the target to having
it running.
To avoid badchars and for ID/PS evasion reasons, the base code of the
shellcode (called payload) will me modified by the Framework before to
be sent to the target. (ie: XORed)
So yes it could be different every time.
A way to retrieve it in your packets is to attach a debugger to the
target application/service and see what it receives, and then compare
this with your capture.

Note that in the version 2 of the MSF, you can view the shellcodes's
codes (:p) in
*\Metasploit\Framework2\home\framework\src\shellcode\

I hope it helps
/JA

Rawal, Rajesh a ?crit :
Hi,

I am using metasploit framework 3, exploiting windows and linux
applications.
I have captured packets using ethereal, but I didn't find the payload
(position) used during the exploittation.

For e.g.

Exploit used was "windows/smb/ms06_040_netapi" and used
payload "windows/shell_bind_tcp" and it successfully exploited remote
host and got command of remote host machine. Also taken packet capture
during this process.
I m not able to find payload of "windows/shell_bind_tcp" in packet
capture.

1. Can I know where this payload exist (where it comes during this
sesion) in packet capture?
2. Does these payloads (shellcodes) differs in every new exploit attemts?

waiting for positive response

Regards

Rajesh Rawal
AMTS
*iPolicy Networks*
**NSEZ Noida | India
Tel. +91-120-2567001,xtn-1246
Cell +91-9899401874

www.ipolicynetworks.com <http://www.ipolicynetworks.com/>

<http://858769.sigclick.mailinfo.com/sigclick/0F040106/0F0E4D04/02024503/07191971.jpg>

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to iPolicy Networks Pvt. Ltd. and is intended solely for the use of the
individuals to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. iPolicy Networks
accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus."....IPF 5K