Metasploit mailing list archives

AF_INET6 Question

From: davems at davewking.com (Dave King)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:54:08 -0600

For starters Metasploit is a great project.  I'm trying to get it to
work on an Ipaq running Familiar Linux.  I'm really close to getting it
to work.  The msfconsole fires up and lets me chose payloads and
exploits and such, but whenever I try to connect to something over the
internet or when I try to fire up the web console I get

./lib/rex/socket.rb:127:in `to_sockaddr': uninitialized constant
Socket::AF_INET6 (NameError)
        from ./lib/rex/socket/comm/local.rb:51:in `create_by_type'
        from ./lib/rex/socket/comm/local.rb:24:in `create'
        from ./lib/rex/socket.rb:44:in `create_param'
        from ./lib/rex/socket/tcp_server.rb:38:in `create_param'
        from ./lib/rex/socket/tcp_server.rb:27:in `create'
        from ./lib/rex/proto/http/server.rb:123:in `start'
        from ./lib/rex/service_manager.rb:80:in `start'
        from ./lib/rex/service_manager.rb:24:in `start'
        from ./lib/msf/ui/web/driver.rb:116:in `run'
        from ./msfweb:56

As a temporary work around I was going to simply comment out lines
127-130 which are

if (af == ::Socket::AF_INET6)
        data = [af, port.to_i, 0, self.gethostbyname(ip)[3], 0]
        return data.pack('snNa16N')
end

I'm only planning on using it with AF_INET sockets, not AF_INET6 (and
the check above is returning an AF_INET socket every time right now
anyway).  Will doing this cause any other problems besides not letting
me use AF_INET6?  I guess a more permanent solution would be to check to
see if ::Socket::AF_INET6 is defined and not allowing AF_INET6 sockets
if it's not.  I'm also going to email the maintainer of the Familiar
Ruby packages to see what he left and and if it can be included.

Thanks,
Dave King