Metasploit mailing list archives

cygwin and Metasploit conflict

From: jjust at globalinfotek.com (James E. Just)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:29:09 -0500

Hi,

I believe the conflict that I'm seeing now is one that has been
addressed but I can't find that discussion. I would prefer not to
integrate Metasploit into my full cygwin environment if I can avoid
it. Hopefully someone can give me a quick pointer to it.

For more than a year, I have had both Metaploit installed and an
independent cygwin installation and they worked fine together.
Beginning about a month ago, I could no longer run msfupdate. The
only significant change that I can remember was changing the order of
PATH names but changing back to the original order did not help.

Initially I was getting a cygwin1.dll conflict message. Eventually I
reinstalled both packages (upgrading from Metasploit 2.4 to  2.5 in
the process). It still won't work and now gives me the error:

bash: /home/run_msfupdate: No such file or directory

So it appears to be starting up the full install of cygwin rather
than the Metasploit version. I think I remember seeing references to
this problem but I can't find them now.

If it helps, my current PATH is:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec
Shared\System;C:\Program Files\PuTTY;C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;c:\cygwin\bin

Thanks. Sorry to both the list with this.

Jim