Metasploit mailing list archives

Where do you find outdated services

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:10:14 -0600

There isn't a good answer to this. I keep a few external drives full of
evaluation software, but often resort to google searches to turn up old
software versions. The basic idea is to figure out the name of the
installer file, then throw some searches out, make a guess based on the
last modified date, and eventually install the different copies into a VM
to verify the versions.

If the vendor doesn't provide evaluation versions, you are out of luck
unless you can find old copies of the physical media. If you are really
desperate, you can often find old media for sale on eBay. Whether you are
legally allowed to install and use software you obtain this way is
another issue entirely. I picked up all of my old Solaris media off eBay
for less than $30 USD.

-HD