Metasploit mailing list archives

Windows Media Player Plugin (ms06-006) Beta Module

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:11:53 -0600

The attached module can be used to exploit a buffer overflow in version 9
of the Windows Media Player plugin. This flaw can only be triggered if
the target system accesses the exploit web service with a non-Microsoft
web browser (Firefox, Opera, etc). This exploit is not able to exploit
WMP v10 and only has targets for the following systems:

- Windows 2000 running WMP v9 (latest download)
- Windows XP SP2 running WMP v9 w/o updates
- Windows 2003 SP0 running WMP v9 w/o updates

If you test this module and it works on a different system than one of the
above, please send me an email with the operating system name, version,
language, and the file version (right click, hit properties) of
"wmp.dll" (found in the System32 directory). If the module does not work,
sending me the same information, along with an actual copy of wmp.dll,
would let me add a target for your system. Thanks!

-HD