Metasploit mailing list archives

Binding to local virtual address problem.

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:43:32 -0600

The LHOST parameter does not result in the listener binding to that just
that interface - it still binds to 0.0.0.0. The LHOST parameter is used
to configure the payload's connect-back address, it has nothing to do
with the local interface for the handler. We can't change this behavior,
because LHOST isn't always a local interface address, it can be an
external address that forwards the port back to the attacking system. If
you can think of a solution to this that makes sense for both situations
(virtual interfaces with other services bound and attacking from behind a
NAT gateway), I would be interested in hearing about it.

-HD