Metasploit mailing list archives

SP2 compatibility with Framework

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 00:16:40 -0500

The Framework does not use raw sockets under Windows unless you try to use
the mostly-broken RawUDP mode with a few exploits. The socket error you
are seeing is something else entirely. When you try to attack a service
that is firewalled or not listening on the target port, the Framework
will spit out a "Socket error" with a generic description. This is more
user-error than a bug :-) Make sure the service you are hitting is
actually open and that any local application firewalls allow perl.exe to
access the network.

-HD