Metasploit mailing list archives

Version 2.3 Updates

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:27:57 -0600

Hello everyone,

If you are still using version 2.2, you may have noticed that msfupdate
now tells you to upgrade to 2.3. There were enough changes in 2.3 that it
would have required nearly *800* downloads to upgrade via the online
update system.

If you are running FreeBSD, you should be able to upgrade to 2.3 via the
ports system. Big thanks to Jonatan B. for creating the port.
 - http://www.freshports.org/security/metasploit/

For those running already 2.3, you may want to run msfupdate or pull down
the latest snapshot from the metasploit.com web site.

Post-2.3 Updates
the iis_w3who_overflow exploit module. During the last round of release
testing, I forgot to double-check the base address of the DLL on Windows
2000 to see if it different from Windows XP. This causes the exploit to
fail when used against Windows 2000 targets. We have updated the module
to include the correct return address for Windows 2000.

- The apache_chunked_win32 exploit module was starting to show its age and
has been completely rewritten. The old module was only able to exploit
Windows 2000 and Windows NT systems running Apache.org build versions
between 1.3.17 to 1.3.24  The new module should work on any version of
Windows NT (4.0, 2000, XP, 2003) and successfully targets all Apache.org
builds from 1.3.9 to 1.3.24. Additionally, this module now includes a
target for the version of Apache bundled with the Oracle 8i database
(8.1.7). An alternate exploitation technique (return to heap) was
implemented by Matt Murphy and can be found online at the URL below.
 - http://lists.virus.org/dw-0day-0309/msg00008.html

-HD