Metasploit mailing list archives

virtual interfaces

From: bobismighty at gmail.com (Bob the mighty one)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:24:46 -0500

Ok well I will never live that last one down with the linux exploit
against the windows box :), but I have another question that hopefully
isnt so stupid. Ok well I was testing out some of the windows exploits
on my internal network, against my windows computer. And I could only
get it to work if I set up a virtual interface with a private IP for
it to connect back to. I dont know If that's  normal, but the problem
I had was when I was trying to exploit boxes outside of my network,
whether it be a friend's box over the internet, or one of mine that I
put outside the DMZ.  I can't get the exploit to complete, even if I
am using the win32_bind payload instead of reverse.
heres the output

msf msrpc_dcom_ms03_026(win32_reverse) > exploit
[*] Starting Reverse Handler.
[*] Error creating socket: Connection failed: Operation now in progress
[*] Exiting Reverse Handler.

Now remember, I am launching the exploit from a computer with a
private ip address, against one with a public address. But even when I
launch from a public ip, i get the same.....Most likely in about 5
minutes something will click in my head and it will all make
sense....and I will make an even bigger idiot of myself. But I figured
its worth asking for help. thanks.