Metasploit mailing list archives

different payloads

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:29:11 -0500

Neil, please refer to the documentation first, almost all of the questions
you have asked have already been covered there. To sum up your last two
inqueries:

- The console prompt will always return if the exploit failed. It can fail
for any number of reasons, please do not post to this list about "failed"
exploits unless you know the reasons why (ie. bad target address, etc).
If the system is simply patched and the exploit does not succeed, this is
expected behavior and should not result in more traffic to the list. If
you are curious about why a given command, option, or message is printed,
please consult the documentation, and failing that, google.com.

- The available payloads change depending on the exploit. This is common
sense when you understand what exploits and payloads are in the first
place. The usable payloads depend on the operating systems that the
exploit targets and the privileges obtained upon successful exploitation.

-HD