Information Security News mailing list archives

How Iranian hackers tried to phish me

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 05:44:03 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/20/how-iranian-hackers-tried-phish-me/

By Holly Dagres
May 20, 2020

Holly Dagres is a fellow in the Atlantic Council’s Middle East Programs and the editor of its IranSource and MENASource blogs.

The email from a prominent Israeli think tank offered some provocative suggestions on U.S. policy towards China. "We must understand that China is at war with the United States,” it declared, citing the covid-19 pandemic as evidence. Its authors recommended that the Trump administration set up a team of “top China experts” such as Stephen K. Bannon and former House speaker Newt Gingrich to confront “Red China” in the wake of the coronavirus crisis.

But the five-page analysis that landed in my inbox wasn’t really from an Israeli think tank. It had been sent by Iranian hackers, part of a complex phishing attack targeting my work email account.

It was just the latest in a series of cyberattacks apparently staged by the same group — and it should set off alarm bells among U.S. organizations and individuals. It is critical that we understand the cyberthreat and take the necessary precautions.

Given my professional focus on Iran issues at the Atlantic Council, I am a prime target for cyberattacks. My email potentially offers hackers access not only to sensitive information and conversations, but also to contacts to high-profile individuals with whom my organization regularly works.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/