Information Security News mailing list archives

Secrets, Surveillance and Snowden

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 07:56:28 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2020/05/11/2013-edward-snowden-leaked-top-secret-national-security-agency-documents-showing-how-us-was-spying-its-citizens-heres-what-happened-next/

By Barton Gellman
The Washington Post
May 11, 2020

The inbox logged a message as I slept. Many hours passed before I checked. Probably should have kept away, but habit tugged. We had taken the channel dark last night. Not because we knew it was blown, but because we could not know. These email accounts were anonymous, encrypted, isolated from our everyday Internet lives. Best I could tell, there was no way to lock them down tighter. That thought had reassured me once.

It was the second half of May 2013. Nearly four months had passed since Laura Poitras, an independent filmmaker, had reached out to me for advice about a confidential source. Verax, as I came to know him later, had brought her an enigmatic tip about U.S. government surveillance. Poitras and I teamed up to see what would come of it. The previous night, months of suspense had come to an end. Verax delivered. The evidence was here. His story was real, the risks no longer conjecture. The FBI and the National Security Agency’s “Q Group,” which oversees internal security, were bound to devote sizable resources to this leak. For the first time in my career, I did not think it was out of the question that U.S. authorities would try to seize my notes and files. Without doubt we were about to become interesting to foreign intelligence services.

Poitras and I resolved to meet again in two days. Anything that came up sooner would have to wait. That plan did not last the night. I logged on the next morning, expecting nothing. According to the time stamp, Poitras had fired off a note less than four hours after we parted. She could not have slept much. I hadn’t either, but the fog cleared when I saw her subject line. It was our private signal for “urgent.” The message, once decrypted, was succinct.

I really need to show you something.

You are going to want to see it.

Odd. Very. Something to look at? After what we saw last night? Verax had sent a top-secret, compartmented presentation from the NSA, updated the previous month. Poitras and I stood over a small laptop screen past midnight, struggling with the jargon. The main points came through readily enough. Under the cover name PRISM, the NSA was siphoning data from tens of thousands of Yahoo, Google, Microsoft and Facebook accounts, among others. Forty-one slides and 8,000 words of speaker’s notes laid out the legal rationale and operating details. If authentic — and it sure looked that way — this briefing offered something very rare: an authoritative account, in near real time, of intelligence operations on U.S. soil that spilled far beyond the bounds acknowledged in public.

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/