Information Security News mailing list archives

UCSF pays $1.14 million to decrypt files after ransomware attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 10:55:40 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ucsf-pays-114-million-decrypt-files-after-ransomware-attack

By Mike Miliard
Healthcare IT News
June 29, 2020

UCSF on Friday announced that it had "made the difficult decision" to pay a $1.14 million ransom and unlock the important data that had been encrypted in a ransomware attack earlier this month.

WHY IT MATTERS

On June 3, IT staff at UCSF School of Medicine detected a security incident that had occurred two days earlier, said school officials in a statement.

"We quarantined several IT systems within the School of Medicine as a safety measure, and we successfully isolated the incident from the core UCSF network. Importantly, this incident did not affect our patient care delivery operations, overall campus network, or COVID-19 work," officials noted.

Even as that attack was stopped, however, the perpetrators launched a malware program that encrypted some servers. UCSF officials note that IT and security staff have been working with an outside consultant and hope to restore access to the servers and shore up its defenses in general.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/