Information Security News mailing list archives

How COVID-19 changed Cyber Command's 'Cyber Flag' exercise

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 05:06:24 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cyberscoop.com/cyber-flag-cyber-command-coronavirus-five-eyes/

By Shannon Vavra
CYBERSCOOP
June 25, 2020

This year when U.S. Cyber Command convened with allied countries to test how they would collectively defend against a cyber-operation targeting allied networks, the units came together for what appeared to be a straightforward simulation of an attack against a European airbase.

The worldwide coronavirus pandemic made the simulation less than straightforward.

For the first time ever, participants conducted the exercise from home on a new platform, according to U.S. military cyber commanders involved in the exercise. The annual simulation, which simulated an attack that impacted both information technology (IT) and operational technology (OT), took place on the Persistent Cyber Training Environment (PCTE).

“The impact of COVID-19 is pretty clear and it’s been a challenge for us. But it didn’t pause the action that’s been going on in cyberspace,” U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John Mauger, the director of Cyber Command exercises and training, told reporters Wednesday. “Within Cyber Command we couldn’t stop and that’s really because our adversaries haven’t stopped during this pandemic.”

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/