Information Security News mailing list archives

Security Firm Claims One Group Stole $200M in Numerous Exchange Hacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 06:30:47 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.coindesk.com/security-firm-claims-one-group-stole-200m-in-numerous-exchange-hacks

By Leigh Cuen
Coindesk.com
June 24, 2020

One shadowy group of cyber criminals might be behind attacks on various crypto
exchanges (including “decentralized” exchanges) dating back to 2018, Israeli
cybersecurity firm ClearSky claimed in a report released on Wednesday.

“We estimate that the group managed to rake in more than $200 million in two
years,” the ClearSky report says about the cybercriminal collective the report
calls CryptoCore. “We assess with medium level of certainty that the threat
actor has links to the East European region, Ukraine, Russia or Romania in
particular.”

ClearSky co-founder Boaz Dolev said his firm found at least five exchange hacks
over the past two years that followed a particular pattern, though he declined
to identify these exchanges on the record.

“They can attack very quickly,” Dolev said of CryptoCore, which he claimed once
deployed an attack just 12 hours after registering fresh domain names. “They’re
not a big group, maybe three to four people … a small but effective operation.”

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/