Information Security News mailing list archives

Lion accidentally directs milk orders to Sydney IT security consultancy

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 06:32:45 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/lion-accidentally-directs-milk-orders-to-sydney-it-security-consultancy-549086

By Ry Crozier
itnews.co.au
Jun 10, 2020

In cyber attack mop-up mistake.

Beverage maker Lion had its Tasmanian customers try to place dairy orders with a Sydney-based cybersecurity consultancy after publishing the wrong phone number for customer service following a cyber attack.

The error was corrected by Tuesday night, but not before Cliffside Security spent the day fielding drink orders in addition to its usual sales calls.

“Today the strangest thing happened. From what I understand, a dairy company got hacked, and their systems went offline, so they updated their website with phone numbers for orders, and the last phone number is our Cliffside Security sales number (a mistake on their side),” Cliffside Security’s Director and Principal Consultant Adriano Leite said.

“So our number has been ringing the whole day, because of a hack (as usual) but now we're getting milk orders instead.”

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/