Information Security News mailing list archives

113 NHS Email Accounts Hacked

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 05:53:59 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cbronline.com/news/113-nhs-email-accounts-hacked

By Conor Reynolds
cbronline.com
June 25, 2020

“We continue to monitor all 1.41 million NHSmail accounts for suspicious activity and evolving security threats”

Some 113 NHS email accounts were compromised by phishing emails last month, the NHS has admitted.

The attack came amid a large-scale, ongoing phishing campaign across the UK targeting multiple sectors.

Due to the potential compromise of sensitive data like patient medical records, a breach of any kind on NHS end-points is of serious concern; all affected accounts have been isolated.

A spokesperson for NHS Digital played down the incident, saying: “There is currently no evidence to suggest that patient records have been accessed. We are working closely with the National Cyber Security Centre, who are investigating a widespread phishing campaign against a broad range of organisations across the UK.”

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/