Information Security News mailing list archives

Twilio: Someone broke into our unsecured AWS S3 silo, added 'non-malicious' code to our JavaScript SDK

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 07:14:05 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/21/twilio_sdk_code_injection/

By Shaun Nichols in San Francisco
The Register

Exclusive - Twilio today confirmed one or more miscreants sneaked into its unsecured cloud storage systems and modified a copy of the JavaScript SDK used by its customers.

The cloud communications giant detailed the intrusion to The Register after we were tipped off to the security blunder by a source who wished to remain anonymous. In short, someone was able to get into Twilio's Amazon Web Services S3 bucket, which was left unprotected and world-writable, and alter the TaskRouter v1.20 SDK to include "non-malicious" code that appeared designed primarily to track whether or not the modification worked.

"Twilio believes the security of our customers' accounts is of paramount importance," a spokesperson told us.

"We can confirm that the TaskRouter v1.20 SDK contained a non-malicious modification inserted by an external third party due to a misconfigured S3 bucket. We became aware of the incident and immediately worked to close the S3 misconfiguration and audit all S3 buckets.

"These measures were implemented within 12 hours to resolve the issue. We have no evidence at this time that any customer data was accessed by a bad actor. Furthermore, at no time did a malicious party have access to Twilio’s internal systems, code or data."

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/