Information Security News mailing list archives

Source: Spain is Customer of NSO Group

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 05:03:52 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkyzxz/spain-nso-group-pegasus-catalonia

By Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai & Joseph Cox
Vice.com
July 14, 2020

The cellphones of several politicians in Spain, including that of the president of one of the countries’ autonomous regional parliaments, were targeted with spyware made by NSO Group, an Israeli company that sells surveillance and hacking tools to governments around the world, according to The Guardian and El Pais . Motherboard confirmed the specifics with security researchers who investigated the attempted hack and a Facebook employee who has knowledge of the case.

A former NSO employee has told Motherboard that the Spanish government has been an NSO customer since 2015.

"We were actually very proud of them as a customer," the former employee said. "Finally a European state." Motherboard granted the source anonymity to protect them from retaliation from the company.

We cannot confirm whether these specific attempted hacks were directed by the Spanish government, though one of the politicians targeted believes the Spanish government is behind the attack.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/