Information Security News mailing list archives

Nine million logs of Brits' road journeys spill onto the internet from password-less number-plate camera dashboard

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 08:09:24 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/28/anpr_sheffield_council/

By Gareth Corfield
The Register

Exclusive -- In a blunder described as "astonishing and worrying," Sheffield City Council's automatic number-plate recognition (ANPR) system exposed to the internet 8.6 million records of road journeys made by thousands of people, The Register can reveal.

The ANPR camera system's internal management dashboard could be accessed by simply entering its IP address into a web browser. No login details or authentication of any sort was needed to view and search the live system – which logs where and when vehicles, identified by their number plates, travel through Sheffield's road network.

Britain's Surveillance Camera Commissioner Tony Porter described the security lapse as "both astonishing and worrying," and demanded a full probe into the snafu.

He told us: "As chair of the National ANPR Independent Advisory Group, I will be requesting a report into this incident. I will focus on the comprehensive national standards that exist and look towards any emerging compliance issues or failure thereof."

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/