Information Security News mailing list archives

'But who's in charge' is the question for feds in cybersecurity

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 09:34:59 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.fifthdomain.com/civilian/dhs/2019/09/25/but-whos-in-charge-is-the-question-for-feds-in-cybersecurity/

By Andrew Eversden
Fifth Domain
September 25, 2019

In an event that brought two Cabinet secretaries and around 50 top federal and state officials together for three days of discussion on cybersecurity and critical infrastructure, one question remained: Who has the lead on information security issues in the United States?

It was an issue pondered aloud by Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisc., the chairman of the Senate’s Homeland Security committee. Johnson said Sept. 19 he had recently sat through a classified 5G briefing with cabinet officials and had a similar inquiry then.

“The No. 1 question I [had] is ‘who’s in charge? Who is actually doing the problem definition when it comes to our challenge with 5G?,’” Johnson said at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s second annual national cybersecurity summit at National Harbor. “And nobody would really answer the question.”

“This is constant. This is common across the federal government,” Johnson added.

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/