Information Security News mailing list archives

Speaker disinvites at CyberCon spark controversy

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 09:23:43 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3444596/speaker-disinvites-at-cybercon-spark-controversy.html

By J.M. Porup
Senior Writer
CSO
October 7, 2019

Controversy has erupted at CyberCon, Australia's largest cybersecurity conference, as two well-known cybersecurity experts have been disinvited from speaking with only a week's notice. The event organizer has said in an email to one of the speakers that they did so at the request of a partner.

That raises questions about whether the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD), that country's counterpart to the NSA, pressured the conference to silence critical voices. The ASD and the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC), part of the ASD, are partners of the show organizer, the Australian Information Security Association (AISA). CyberCon opened October 7, in Melbourne, Australia.

NSA whistleblower Drake one of the speakers

One of the speakers is Thomas Drake, the NSA whistleblower whose ultimate firing contributed to Edward Snowden's decision to leak classified information about mass surveillance programs to journalists. He was set to speak on the national security state, encryption, and other topics. The other speaker, Dr. Suelette Dreyfus, a professor at the University of Melbourne, was due to deliver a talk on secure and anonymous digital drop boxes as an anti-corruption tool.

"I was invited as a speaker 11 months ago, and reconfirmed over the intervening time," Dr. Dreyfus tells CSO. " About a week before the event I was told I was disinvited as a speaker."

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/