Information Security News mailing list archives

Canada Border Services seizes lawyer's phone, laptop for not sharing passwords

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 08:16:16 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cbsa-boarder-security-search-phone-travellers-openmedia-1.5119017

By Sophia Harris
CBC News
May 05, 2019

As more people travel with smartphones loaded with personal data, concern is
mounting over Canadian border officers' powers to search those phones — without
a warrant.

"The policy's outrageous," said Toronto business lawyer, Nick Wright. "I think
that it's a breach of our constitutional rights."

His thoughts follow a personal experience. After landing at Toronto's Pearson
Airport on April 10, he said the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) flagged
him for an additional inspection — for no stated reason.

Wright had just returned from a four-month trip to Guatemala and Colombia where
he studied Spanish and worked remotely. He took no issue when a border services
officer searched his bags, but drew the line when the officer demanded his
passwords to also search his phone and laptop.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/