Information Security News mailing list archives

Michigan's DNA Shaped a Populist Security Start-Up

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 06:02:10 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-michigans-dna-shaped-populist-start-up-duo-security-51553084081

By Mary Childs
Barron's
March 20, 2019

Dug Song had worked at three security companies and he was increasingly sure the industry was failing people.

As cybersecurity became "the biggest geopolitical problem of our time," he says, companies were prioritizing other companies, leaving regular people behind, coping with old clunky systems and a "punishing" user experience. Just when it mattered most:

"In an era where governments can't keep their secrets, nobody's safe," he tells Barron’s. "Frankly I've been very disillusioned with a lot of the dynamics...They were still shipping products that were ineffective, hopelessly complicated, and servicing one end of the market, arguably security just for the 1%."

"We all had a greater responsibility to help each other -- and I just didn't see the industry rising to the occasion."

So Song, and fellow hacker Jon Oberheide, set about creating a way to make security easier, more efficient, more accessible for everyone -- democratized. In 2010 they founded Duo Security, to provide cloud-based two-factor authentication services.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/