Information Security News mailing list archives

UK code breakers drop Bombe, Enigma and Typex simulators onto the web for all to try

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 08:01:10 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/18/gchq_enigma_emulator/

By Thomas Claburn in San Francisco
The Register

UK signals intelligence agency GCHQ, celebrating its centenary, has released emulators for famed World War II-era cipher machines that can be run within its web-based educational encryption app CyberChef.

"We've brought technology from our past into the present by creating emulators for Enigma, Typex and the Bombe in #CyberChef," GCHQ said Thursday via Twitter. "We even tested them against the real thing! Try them out for yourself!"

Enigma machines turn text into ciphertext and back again; they were used by the German military, among others, to encrypt and decrypt messages during the Second World War.

The machines were produced shortly after the end of World War I and initially sold as tools for keeping commercial secrets. There were later adopted by the German military, and in 1932 sale of the devices required military approval.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/