Information Security News mailing list archives

NSA's Joyce outlines how U.S. can disrupt and deter foreign hacking

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 09:59:02 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cyberscoop.com/rob-joyce-nsa-disrupt-foreign-hacking/

By Sean Lyngaas
CYBERSCOOP
February 28, 2019

The United States will do more to disrupt the malicious cyber-activity that foreign adversaries are aggressively using to advance their interests, a National Security Agency official said Thursday.

"We have to impose costs in a visible way to start deterrence," said Rob Joyce, senior cybersecurity adviser at NSA. "We have to go out and try to make those operations less successful and harder to do."

Speaking to an industry association in Hanover, Maryland, Joyce cited the 2017 WannaCry and NotPetya malware outbreaks -- and Russia's use of information operations in the 2016 U.S. election -- as examples of nation-states moving from "exploitation to disruption" to impose their will in cyberspace. Washington has blamed North Korea and Russia, respectively, for the devastating WannaCry and NotPetya attacks, which cost billions of dollars in economic damage.

Some foreign governments have less legal constraints on their activities in cyberspace than the U.S., Joyce told a local chapter of the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA).

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/