Information Security News mailing list archives

DNS hijacking grabs headlines, but it’s just the tip of the iceberg

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:51:10 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3402678/dns-hijacking-grabs-headlines-but-its-just-the-tip-of-the-iceberg.html

By Andrada Fiscutean
CSO
June 17, 2019

Internet pioneer Dr. Paul Vixie wishes people would stop ignoring his advice and start taking security seriously. “I am complaining about too many things,” he tells me. “It couldn't be as bad as I say it is. Except it is.”

The man who made extensive contributions to the Domain Name System (DNS) has just given the opening keynote at the CARO 2019 conference in Copenhagen, and once again has asked the security community to be more collaborative “for the good of all.” The growth of the internet of things (IoT) poses new challenges in the field of DNS security, and so do government-sponsored hackers who have started targeting the backbone of the internet.

I call Vixie right after the conference. He’s on a train going to the far west of Denmark to pick up his BMW R100 classic motorcycle for a few days of fun. The monotonous train ride takes him back to the beginnings of the internet. Vixie reflects on the mistakes of the past and the things that could be done to improve DNS security.

Half-baked and barely working

Vixie spent the first half of his career making the internet easier to use, authoring many standards documents concerning the Domain Name System, the internet phone book that allows us to use human-readable names for websites instead of IP addresses. Then, he changed tactics.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/