Information Security News mailing list archives

Cyber Militia Launches Non-Profit to Share Technology

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 09:50:37 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.afcea.org/content/cyber-militia-launches-non-profit-share-technology

By George I. Seffers
The Cyber Edge
June 19, 2019

A warfighter-built cybersecurity system is now perched for broader use.

Members of the Missouri National Guard Cyber Team are launching a nonprofit organization to share RockNSM, a system initially built by cyber warriors for cyber warriors.

RockNSM is a network security monitoring platform that uses open source technologies, such as CentOS, which is an operating system derived from the RedHat enterprise-level open source system. RockNSM formed the basis for a Task Force Echo network anomaly detection system used for real-world cyber operations.

According to Capt. Derek Ditch, a cyber capabilities officer with the Missouri National Guard Cyber Team, RockNSM has garnered interest from “governmental organizations and corporate organizations” from Europe, the United States and around the world. The U.S. Navy is one organization that has shown interest in the system. A Navy cyber protection team paid for some Missouri National Guard personnel to spend a week in Hawaii. “We set out to build one kit for them. We ended up building four,” reports Capt. Ditch, ANG, cyber capabilities officer, Missouri Cyber Team.

Other military organizations were requesting the Missouri Cyber Team’s assistance often enough that they decided to build an automated tool and make it available to others through GitHub. “It was what we had, and we put it out on GitHub because teams and organizations were asking us to help build stuff, and we’re just reservists, and we have full-time jobs and families and can’t be on the road all the time. The National Guard wasn’t willing to pay for that either, so we put it out there and made it open source and available,” Capt. Ditch says.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/