Information Security News mailing list archives

YouTube's 'instructional hacking' ban threatens computer security teachers

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 09:19:47 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/3/20681586/youtube-ban-instructional-hacking-phishing-videos-cyber-weapons-lab-strike

By Adi Robertson
The Verge
July 3, 2019

Earlier this year, YouTube added hacking and phishing tutorials to its examples of banned video content — and that ban has been publicized thanks to an apparent crackdown on an ethical “white hat” hacking and computer security channel.

Kody Kinzie is a co-founder of Hacker Interchange, which describes itself as an organization dedicated to teaching beginners about computer science and security. Hacker Interchange produces the Cyber Weapons Lab series on YouTube, but yesterday, Kinzie reported that they were unable to upload new videos because of a content strike. “Our existing content is being flagged and pulled, just got a strike too,” noted Kinzie.

  We made a video about launching fireworks over Wi-Fi for the 4th of July
  only to find out @YouTube gave us a strike because we teach about
  hacking, so we can't upload it.

  YouTube now bans: "Instructional hacking and phishing: Showing users how
  to bypass secure computer systems"

  — Kody (@KodyKinzie) July 2, 2019

The rule is laid out on YouTube’s “harmful or dangerous content” page, which bans “instructional hacking and phishing,” i.e. “showing users how to bypass secure computer systems or steal user credentials and personal data.”

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/