Information Security News mailing list archives

FormGet security lapse exposed thousands of sensitive user-uploaded documents

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 10:29:04 +0000 (UTC)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/25/formget-security-lapse-exposed-documents/

By Zack Whittaker
TechCrunch
July 25, 2019

If you’ve used FormGet in the past few years, there’s a good chance we know about it.

FormGet bills itself as an online form maker and email marketing company based in Bhopal, India. The company allows its 43,000 customers to create online forms so others can submit their resumes or apply for a job, or provide proof of address or employment, buy goods online and more.

How do we know? Because the company left one of its cloud storage servers online and exposed without a password.

An anonymous security researcher found FormGet’s exposed Amazon S3 storage bucket and informed TechCrunch in the hope of getting the data secured. FormGet pulled the bucket offline overnight after we reached out to the company on Wednesday. But the company’s founder and chief executive Neeraj Agarwal did not respond to several emails and follow-ups requesting comment.

The storage bucket was packed with hundreds of thousands of files and documents. The storage bucket had a folder for each year dating back to 2013 and contained sub-folders for each month, filled with user-uploaded documents.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/