Information Security News mailing list archives

NSA Director Paul Nakasone had an awkward chat with Ted Koppel

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 08:03:15 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cyberscoop.com/paul-nakasone-ted-koppel-interview-iccs-2019-fordham-university/

By Jeff Stone
CYBERSCOOP
July 23, 2019

Well, that was weird.

When Gen. Paul Nakasone appeared Tuesday at the International Conference on Cybersecurity at Fordham University, he probably expected to hear questions about the new reorganization at the National Security Agency, or about the U.S. government’s ability to safeguard what’s expected to be one of the most contentious elections in recent memory amid historic levels of foreign meddling.

It was not to be.

Nakasone spent roughly an hour politely engaging Ted Koppel, the longtime broadcast journalist and author of a 2015 book on cybersecurity, in a bizarre conversation that alternated between Koppel questioning the decorated NSA director about the agency’s basic responsibilities, and whether Nakasone struggled with fake news from “tens of thousands” of “self-appointed journalists.”

The “fireside chat” was perhaps the most widely anticipated presentation scheduled at ICCS, a regular gathering of some of the most powerful officials from the U.S. intelligence community. Koppel set the tone for the hourlong discussion with a seven-minute story about a World War II bombing campaign carried out by the German Luftwaffe that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of civilians. The bombings, by Koppel’s description, resulted in an eventual understanding between the United States and the Soviet Union that similar attacks, carried out with nuclear weapons, could result in mutually assured destruction.

“I would say both the United States and the Soviet Union floundered in creating that strategy. We did silly things like teaching our children to duck under their desks in their schools, or creating bomb shelters. Some of them still exist today, stocked with crackers and water,” Koppel said. “We developed plans to evacuate massive cities. All totally pointless.”

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/