Information Security News mailing list archives

Losing her phone to a thief was just the beginning of her problems

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 06:28:20 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/08/losing-her-phone-to-thief-was-just.html

CWB Chicago
August 25, 2019

One of the 200+ people who had their phones stolen at Lollapalooza has reached out to CWBChicago with a cautionary tale. It’s a head’s up that everyone needs to be aware of in case their phone goes missing.

For her, the misery didn’t end with losing her phone to a thief.

“I set an alert on the stolen phone to notify me when the phone was located,” she remembered. A few days later, things started to look up: “Sure enough, I got a text from ‘Apple’ that my lost phone had been found.”

You’ve probably concluded by the quote marks around “Apple” that something was amiss. You’re right.

“I clicked the link in the text to locate my phone, and it took me to the ‘find my iPhone’ page. I entered my credentials, per usual, including my Apple ID and password.”

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/