Information Security News mailing list archives

Millions of Facebook records were exposed on public Amazon server

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 08:49:34 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cnet.com/news/millions-of-facebook-records-were-exposed-on-public-amazon-server/

By Alfred Ng
CNET News
April 3, 2019

A treasure trove of Facebook data containing more than 540 million records was exposed online in a public database, security researchers from UpGuard said Wednesday.

The data contained extensive details, including people's comments, likes, names and Facebook IDs. It had been collected by two third-party Facebook apps.

"Facebook's policies prohibit storing Facebook information in a public database. Once alerted to the issue, we worked with Amazon to take down the databases. We are committed to working with the developers on our platform to protect people's data," a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.

In the incident revealed Wednesday, the databases resided on Amazon cloud servers without any protection, and came from a Mexico-based media company called Cultura Colectiva, as well as another app, called At the Pool.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/