Information Security News mailing list archives

DHS Plans to Rejigger Government's Cyber Sensor System for Move to Cloud

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 06:54:54 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2018/10/dhs-plans-rejigger-governments-cyber-sensor-system-move-cloud/152275/

By Joseph Marks
Senior Correspondent
Nextgov.com
October 24, 2018

As government agencies move more of their digital systems to computer clouds, the Homeland Security Department is rethinking how it deploys cybersecurity sensors to detect attempts to compromise those systems, a top official said Tuesday.

Currently, Homeland Security's systems of cyber threat detection sensors, known as Einstein, cluster around a series of trusted internet connections that route information between federal agencies and the broader internet.

The government has less visibility into cyber threats if they sneak past those connections.

The system of trusted internet connections is ill-suited, however, for massive computer clouds, which shift data around far more dynamically.

As a result, Homeland Security is working with cloud companies on a new sensor concept that can catch cyber threats without relying on a series of chokepoints, said Jeanette Manfra, who leads Homeland Security's cybersecurity division.

"It's not just 'hey, let’s take the same concept and funnel all of our traffic through a couple nodes that we can trust, because that’s not how cloud works,' " Manfra told reporters along the sidelines of a Palo Alto Networks cybersecurity conference.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/