Information Security News mailing list archives

Hacking Team Hacker Phineas Fisher Has Gotten Away With It

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 07:21:38 +0000 (UTC)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3k9zzk/hacking-team-hacker-phineas-fisher-has-gotten-away-with-it

By Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai
Motherboard.Vice.com
Nov 12 2018

At 3:15 a.m. local Italian time on July 5, 2015, the usually quiet Twitter account of the infamous spyware company Hacking Team posted a confusing message: "Since we have nothing to hide, we're publishing our emails, files, and source code."

The company, and its Twitter account, had gotten hacked.

The tweet included a link to a 400-gigabyte torrent file that contained all sorts of sensitive internal files: company emails, documents, contracts, spreadsheets, and spyware source code. Even at first sight, it was a devastating breach--and that was before journalists started digging into the cache, revealing Hacking Team's list of questionable customers, its hacking techniques, and its sometimes rocky relationship with law enforcement agencies.

A vigilante hacker who goes by the name Phineas Fisher, who was infamous for breaching Hacking Team's main competitor FinFisher in 2014, claimed responsibility for the attack. Months later, Phineas Fisher revealed how they did it in a detailed step-by-step post-mortem.

And they got away with it.

In July of this year, an Italian judge ruled that the investigation into who hacked Hacking Team should be shut down, arguing that there are no more leads to follow.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/