Information Security News mailing list archives

Palm Beach County is the lone county to reject sensors that detect hackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 06:08:55 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/12/04/palm-beach-county-is-the-lone-county-to-reject-sensors-that-detect-hackers/

By Mark Puente
Tampa Bay Times
12/04/2018

To help deter hackers from infiltrating voting systems, the federal government offered all of Florida's 67 counties a tool to detect and monitor electronic intruders.

While the technology does not stop hackers, it alerts officials about possible threats and allows them to respond faster when data may be at risk.

Only one county -- Palm Beach -- rejected the technology in the months prior to Election Day. That could change now that Palm Beach County plans to update its system next year.

"We didn't think it was a good time to put some function on a legacy system," said Palm Beach Supervisor of Elections Susan Bucher. "We'll take a look next year when we buy new equipment."

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/