Information Security News mailing list archives

Bloomberg News Pays Reporters More If Their Stories Move Markets

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:04:15 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.businessinsider.com/bloomberg-reporters-compensation-2013-12

By Julia La Roche
Business Insider
Dec. 11, 2013

Bloomberg News has an unusual practice of paying some of its reporters explicitly for publishing "market-moving" stories.

This is one of many metrics that is factored into reporters' annual bonuses.

This practice is not widespread in the financial news industry, and journalists we spoke to from other outlets were not aware that it is used at Bloomberg. We also canvassed traders, bankers and public relations professionals. None of them had heard this before, either.

Most of the people we spoke to, especially traders, were startled to hear about this practice, worrying that it might create an incentive for Bloomberg reporters to "push" or stretch stories with the specific aim of moving markets. Traders react instantly to headlines and news stories, and the decisions they make often make or lose significant amounts of money.

We asked Bloomberg about the practice. A company spokesperson acknowledged it.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/